Has anyone ever kept Betta fish?

I was recently gifted a fish and am receiving a lot of different advice on how to care for it. Specifically, how big should the tank be, and do I need a heater and filter (I will change the water weekly)? I’m wary of heaters because I have heard a lot of people say that their heaters are inconsistent and end up over heating the water. I’ve read a lot of info off the web, but I’d like to know first hand how people have raised their fish.

Betta fish are very easy to nurture. I also received a Betta as a present when I was working at a Boy Scout camp back in 2008. It was part of our Christmas in July celebration. I was the nature director at the time, so I kept him in the nature shed in a one gallon bowl so the scouts could see him. The camp got very cold at night, but he was fine. Changing the water weekly is a good idea.

One thing about Betta fish is that they catch diseases easily. This can be a problem if you want to put more fish in your tank. When I got home, I decided to get a five gallon tank with a few more fish. I found the people at the little fish store in Castro Valley very helpful. People who run specialty fish stores are much more knowledgeable than the people who work at big box pet stores, BTW. They told me which fish would be too aggressive to keep with him and which fish were good “community fish.” My Betta lived for almost a year, then caught a disease about the time when I introduced a cute little orange fish into the tank. Then, I got a second Betta and he ate one of my fish, so I decided to send my other fish to live with my boyfriend’s fish in his 50 gallon tank.

So… Other tropical fish need a heater, but a betta is fine with or without it. Let me know if you have any more questions 🙂

I wrote out a nice, long response several times, but here’s the gist of it: no. You need nothing but a fish bowl, fish food, water treatment, water, and a fish.

Do not keep any other fish with a beta fish. It’s healthier and safer for all fish involved if beta fish are kept separately.