Is the Gulf of Mexico safe to swim in?

Just like any ocean, there are a number of precautions you need to take before heading out for a swim.  First of all, avoid swimming at night, when you’ve had alcohol, or when a lifeguard isn’t present.  Secondly, be aware of strong currents and know the proper swimming techniques if you begin to drift.  As long as you stay alert and aware of your surroundings, swimming in the Gulf of Mexico shouldn’t be any more dangerous than a dip in the neighborhood pool. 

Honestly, if it isn’t an area you are very accustomed to swimming in I’d say it’s not safe. I heard in the news about a traveler to took a swim while on vacation and met her demise. Apparently, there were no signs warnings swimmer of the perils the water held within. This may sound bias but stick to your local pool and swimming areas you are familiar with. I wouldn’t do to another country and go beyond by shoulders in water!