Is the green industry getting hurt by labeling misuse?



  1. 0 Votes

    Misleading labeling does make it harder for consumers who are genuinely seeking green goods. Even accredited labels can be misleading. For example, a product with at least 70% organic ingredients can state “Made with organic ingredients” on the label, which some people might misinterpret to mean completely organic. Another example is the requirement that dairy products whose labels announce they are free from rBGH human growth hormone must also state on the label that the FDA has not found anything wrong with rBGH, despite the fact that significant research has linked the hormone to health problems in both humans and cows. What’s more confusing, products made with genetically engineered ingredients like rBGH are not required to state this on their labels at all.

  2. 0 Votes

    Green labeling is sometimes used to get people to purchase products they believe are green, while the label may be sending the wrong idea to consumers. For example a concerned consumer wishes to buy a green product and notices a product states “all natural” and “recycled content”. While the product claims to be “all natural” it could have been grown or raised with the use of hormones or chemical fertilizers and may actually only contain 5 percent recycled content, the other 95 percent being virgin wood. Some green labels send an unclear message to consumers that are trying to make an environmentally conscious choice. Some green labels lack clarity in what they are representing and some are being used as a marketing scheme by companies to attract more consumers.

Please signup or login to answer this question.

Sorry,At this time user registration is disabled. We will open registration soon!