Is google an efficient internet company?

Have you ever heard of Blackle?  This is google, but with a black background—apparently it requires less energy for a computer to display a black screen with white letters than it does to display black letters on a white background (traditional). It didn’t catch on… So google is probably not as energy efficient as it could be. But they are trying: Check out this quote from Wiki:

“In 2004, Google formed a not for-profit philanthropic wing,, with a start-up fund of $1 billion.[145] The express mission of the organization is to create awareness about climate change, global public health, and global poverty. One of its first projects is to develop a viable plug-in hybrid electric vehiclethat can attain 100 mpg.”

So they’ve done some stuff (also these things—the second one is hilarious and intriguing—why don’t we just all buy goats instead of paying for lawn care and milk and stuff!?? HAHA!)

“In October 2006, the company announced plans to install thousands of solar panels to provide up to 1.6 megawatts of electricity, enough to satisfy approximately 30% of the campus’ energy needs.[118] The system will be the largest solar power system constructed on a U.S. corporate campus and one of the largest on any corporate site in the world.”

and this about goats:

In 2009 Google announced it was deploying herds of goats to keep grassland around the Googleplex short, helping to prevent the threat from seasonal bush fires while also reducing the carbon footprint of mowing the extensive grounds.[120][121]

I love it!   

Oh yeah, and I found this from their site—

“Google-designed data centers use about half the energy of a typical data center. As a result, the energy used per Google search is very small; to be precise, we currently use about 1kJ (0.0003 kWh) of energy to answer the average query.”

So in Summary: GOOGLE IS ENERGY EFFICIENT — But there is still even more that we could do (like using blackle??? But I must admit, I am a conserver, but I use regular old google; but maybe there is hope for me to change yet!?) 

I do think that blackle is useful and informative. It shows people that just because they are operating online, doesn’t mean they aren’t using energy.  It can be helpful, so check it out.