food waste (organic waste).

Looking for some current statistics relating to food waste. Per capita, per country, per region, anything recent (2005-2010)! Food (or biodegradable/organic), but particularly interested to know how much food is wasted, geographically.

A study from 2004 indicated that nearly half of the food in the U.S. goes to waste. Households wasted 14% of their food purchases, amounting to $43 billion in household food waste across the country. 

In Europe, the problem is similar, with between 20 and 50% of food wasted amongst most European nations. It is estimated that Sweden households throw away 25% of purchased food. Meanwhile, Britain throws away 18 billion tons of food every year, amounting to 14 billion pounds lost by households alone. In the Netherlands, households throw away 400 Euros worth of food every year, amounting to more than 20% of the food on the market. Check out the following link for more statistics:

Thanks, I’m very new to this site, I really appreciate the reply.

One point I would like to raise to members of this community. My question was somewhat of an experiment to see what data I could get on such a topic. I’m always particularly interested in comparative data, to get a better idea of the global picture).

As well as my surprise to get some good information here, I had a feeling that the data could be found on EU and North Atlantic region. I wonder how difficult it would be to find data for other regions, ie: Asia, Africa, South America, and the Pacific.

* This is not a request, just a thought. Thank you kindly for your reply.