Errors in this article

The vast majority of plastic bags are made from natural gas, not petroleum. The statement that 100 million barrels of oil are used to make plastic bags is an internet meme and has no basis in fact. Paper is not a viable alternative; see the dozens of answers here in Greenanswers; reusable cloth is much better but has its own issues. And plastic bags indeed do not biodegrade, but they certainly decompose mechanically in the environment (in months to years) to tiny particles. That is not a good thing, but the scare tactics in this article are way overblown. Counterpoint offered in link below:

You really should check your facts before you start commenting on people’s answers and articles.

This was taken directly from Wikipedia.

“Traditional plastic bags are usually made from polyethylene, which consists of long chains of ethylene monomers. Ethylene is derived from natural gas and petroleum. The polyethylene used in most plastic shopping bags is either low-density (resin identification code 4) or, more often, high-density (resin identification code 2).”

I never said paper was a viable alternative, so I suggest you reread my article to find out what alternatives were suggested and you WON’T see paper!! I do suggest reusable and canvas as alternatives but ultimately this article is about banning the plastic bag altogether, hence the link to the Petition.

I’m not sure who told you plastic bags take months to years to decompose, but you are wrong and there is nothing on the internet or beyond to support your statement, in fact the years listed in my article have been scientifically proven.

“What’s more, when left to degrade in the sunlight, polyethylene bags take around 1,000 years to fully break down [source: American Green Bag].”

There are no scare tactics used in this article just facts based on research.  The Blue Ocean Society for Marine Conservation has a wealth of information on the horrible effects plastic litter has on marine wildlife, additionally feel free to click on any of the links I have provided in the article to educate yourself on just how devastating plastic bags are to the health of our environment.  Finally there is a link to a petition banning the use of plastic bags in the United States, do us all a favor and sign it.