Does a whale float because of all of its blubber?

1

Answers

What an interesting question! The answer is yes. Blubber (which makes up about 50% of a whale) contains a large amount of oil that is less dense than the water that surrounds it, causing the animal to float. The bones of many marine animals, like whales, are lighter and less dense than those of land mammals which also helps them stay afloat. However, I don’t believe that blubber and light weight bones are enough to totally keep a whale afloat so it seems they do have to rely on swimming and taking in air as well.

When looking into this I found another interesting question: how do whales stay afloat while sleeping? I won’t go into it here but there is an interesting article from Scientific American explaining the answer.