Does toothpaste hurt the water table?

There is sufficient evidence supporting that toothpaste does hurt the environment – it taints the water table, causing reproductive problems in fish, frogs and potentially even humans. Many toothpastes, soaps and detergents have hormone-disrupting chemicals like potassium nitrate. In one article I read, someone found their toothpaste contained a known pesticide, triclosan, and is used as an antibacterial and antifungal agent, which would most certainly have a negative effect on ecosystems. In a study conducted in 2002, out of 139 surveyed rivers or streams, 80% were contaminated with soap and toothpaste chemicals. One major concern is that we need to upgrade our water treatment facilities, but that can prove to be quite expensive…

Since toothpaste has been known to harm the environment, as Elifitz pointed out, there are ways to maintain dental hygiene without causing that damage. Apparently, making your own toothpaste is surprisingly easy! Although I personally have never tried it, I probably will after my next tube runs out. For ingredients, all you need is baking soda, salt, glycerine, and water. I have attached the mixture process and again, it is surprisingly simple.

Fluoride found within toothpaste and within water can at times have negative effects on those who are consuming it. This fluoride (although not usually found in heavy doses) is making its way into a water supplies and this can bring about negative results especially if we are unaware of how much we are actually taking in when grabbing a glass of water.