Does religious beliefs harm the environment?

Not necesarily. In reality true religious belief should be completely compatible with conservation of nature. If one really believes that all the world and the living creatures there in are god’s creation and we were put here as stewards of that creation then it is our duty to protect it in his name. Now this connection is not often made except by a few fairly radical clergy. But if your are interested in the topic I suggest reading the book Creation by E.O. Wilson; see the link below.

I don’t think any religion advocates destroying the Earth. In fact most are pretty specific about keeping Earth as it was. Today Christianity is arbitrarily politically linked to Republicans who have the reputation of not caring about the environment. In the bible it implies that the Earth was made for us to use. I don’t think this means it was made for us to waste.