Does NYC get a lot of their drinking water from the ocean?

In order to get drinking water from the ocean, it would have to be processed at a desalination facility. As far as I can tell, there are only three desalination plants operating in the contiguous United States, and none of them are in New York State.

Thus, I don’t think New York is getting any of its drinking water from the ocean.

Actually, most of the city’s water comes from 19 reservoirs and three controlled lakes. Together, these supply around 1 billion gallons of drinking water to New York City residents. I was unable to find any information about treating water from the ocean, but there is a plan to construct a desalination plant on the Hudson River. However, this has met with some opposition from environmental groups because of the potential negative impacts on the wildlife.