Does it take longer for organic food to grow than non organics?

Organic foods may grow slightly slower than conventional foods because organic foods cannot be grown with synthetic fertilizer. 

2. jet

Yes, conventional fertilizers promote plant growth but often at the expense of the health of the plant. Studies suggest that organic plant matter has higher levels of nutrients than plant matter grown non-organically. So while the growth may be sped up, the lack of proper nutrient distribution and absorption may not be able to sustain long-term plant growth. Additionally, pesticide and herbicide (non-organic spray) use can promote strains of pests (insects, weeds, etc) that are resistant and increasingly aggressive.  

Many organic farmers – such as the famous Masanobu Fukuoka (see link below) – have shown that it is possible to have an equally abundant and equally timely harvest as farms that use non-organic methods. What’s more: organic farms tend to keep the upward trend going because they improve their soil and environment year after year, whereas non-organic farmers are more susceptible to long-term problems that could ruin future harvests.

From personal experience, I’ve noticed that my organic-grown plants take a little longer to start producing, but soon after picking my first tomatoes or trimming the top of my basil plants, I have incredible abundance. My all-organic garden grew far better than the semi-organic garden one at my parents’ house this past summer. I know this is just one case and that a lot of factors can go into how well a garden produces, but I’ve had incredible results. I think that cultivating the soil through compost and other practices as well as carefully attending to my garden really boosted its growing abilities.