Does the insulation in a house have to be thicker in colder regions than in warmer ones?

Thicker insulation will both keep a house warmer in the winter and cooler in the summer. By chosing eco-friendly, energy efficient insulation, you can reduce the amount of energy needed to heat or cool a home with heat or air conditioning.

It is not just how much as some insulation in a laboratory works great and in the real world perform substandard as low as 50% below rating.

Insulation Fact Sheet – Oak Ridge National Laboratory

The ZIP-Code Insulation Program will tell you the most economic insulation level for your new or existing house.

If you add thermal mass to a thermal break you increase the energy efficiency by 50% or more.

When we shot the interior of the house (the out side was shot already) my heating fuel consumption dropped by 70%

Further more I know this is not scientific but I turned off the temporary heater when the heat pump was installed. The heat was set at 55 degrees and did not turn on for three weeks as the passive solar and thermal kept the interior above 60 degrees.