Does how green you are depend on where you live? Are people greener in one part of the US over another?

To some extent, yes, where you live can influence how green you are.  Living in a community that fosters a green culture or has a lot of eco-friendly resources, for example, will certainly boost your ability to participate in an eco-friendly lifestyle.  However, a lot of areas can foster a green lifestyle in some ways, but completely fail to do so in others.  For example, Vermont is generally thought of as a very green state, full of green-minded individuals with lots of eco-friendly stores, businesses and resources, and of course its low population density make it ideal for organic farming and preservation efforts.  However, the low population density also means vast distances between the eco-friendly individual and the eco-friendly stores, businesses and resources, and that often translates into high fuel consumption.  Moreover, the extreme winter conditions also serve to drive up fuel consumption for heating, require less efficient vehicles for safe travel (even if you’re only going a few miles, you can’t really ride a bike through two feet of snow), and limit productivity for farms.

On the other hand, large condensed cities tend to destroy local ecosystems, and they limit their residents’s options as far as farming, buying local or using alternative energy sources.  However, their condensed nature and public transportation cut down on fuel consumption, and their rather cramped living situations improve efficiency in heating, water, electricity and waste management.

Ultimately, it matters less where you live and more how well you can adapt to your environment.  A green lifestyle is possible just about anywhere, so long as you make an effort to seek out the most environmentally friendly options available to you.

I definitely think that where you live effcts how green you are.  In some places it is much more easy to lead a green lifestyle than it is in others.  For example, some towns promote recycling and composting by offering activities that encourage people to do so, or even giving rewards to them.  On the other hand, you have towns that charge people to recycle.  Even malls for example, in my area malls are now offering recycling cans right next to all of the garbages.  When I have gone to visit friends elsewhere, I don’t see things like that.  

I live in Aurora Colorado and there are literally no recycling facilities here.  This is particularly pitiful because Aurora is the 53 largest city in the nation.  I previously lived in Portland Oregon.  Portland has great recycling facilities and many civil engineering projects that are improving the quality of the environment.  One of the things I have been trying to do is to incorporate vegetable waste into the garden and burn my paper in the fireplace.  Unfortunately, its not that convenient to compost when you live in an apartment!  Needless to say, some cities need to invest less in new police vehicles and more in recycling programs.

I went to college in Los Angeles, and I felt very awkward and out of place if I wasn’t participating in some eco-friendly activities. Since the community that I lived in was very green, not being green definitely stuck out and made you feel like an outsider. Whether it’s by choice or not, where you live and the people that you are around can definitely influence how green you are.