Does the church play a role in environmental teaching?

2

Answers

Some churches have come out strongly in support of the environmentalism. One of the most significant is the Catholic Church. Both John Paul II made some very strong statements about the depletion of the ozone layer and global warming, and Pope Benedict even has fitted the Vatican with solar panels.

I think a given church’s advocacy of environmental causes depends on who is working for the church – who are the ministers, priests, and community-conscious parishioners who get involved with such things? I’m familiar with an Ecuminical Christian Ministry on my college campus, the director of which is a Unitarian minister who was in Time magazine for protesting the construction of a new coal plant in the state of Kansas. What a great influence he was on Christian students and non-Christians alike!