Does China have the capabilities to double the worlds solar output?

China certainly has a decent amount of land mass, which means they cover a lot of surface area — area that could well be used to collect solar energy. However, China also has some serious food problems, and with a good portion of their society in agrarian vocations, I would think they are more likely to use the land that is capable of being farmed as farmland.

They also have a lot of desert land that would not serve well as farmland, and that land could be used to collect solar energy. I think there is a lot of potential in China. The question is, are they willing to do it?

Given the current rate of solar collection, I would say that China certainly has the capacity to double the output. The probability that they will do it is an entirely different matter.