Does California have a pretty green economy?

Yes. Part of the reason for this is that Californians are pioneers in environmental law. We have stricter environmental regulations than most other states, so businesses must comply with those regulations and many businesses will go beyond the minimum environmental standards in anticipation of stricter standards in the future while others will just run a green business because they want to do it.

I love living in California, and I constantly see examples of green businesses everywhere. One of my favorite green companies that I think is really cool is the pepper peddler, who roasts organic coffee and delivers it to people by bicycle in re-usable glass jars much like and old-fashioned milk man. Deliveries are limited to the city of Davis, but staying local is part of keeping an economy green.