Does caffeine always provide energy?

3

Answers

For true energy, eat things like carbs and Omega-3s. Caffeine is not a source of energy; you merely feel energetic because of the sugar rush.  Once that has subsided, you will go back to feeling blah.

Caffeine doesn’t really provide energy. Instead, it binds to cell receptors that would otherwise bind with adenosine, which causes drowsiness by slowing down cell function. When caffeine binds with the receptor, it blocks adenosine and therefore prevents the sluggish feeling that would otherwise occur. It also causes the brain to produce adrenaline.

I would be interested to know if caffeine would do anything if enough adenosine had already bound to cell receptors. I’m no expert, but it seems as though it would not have much of an effect.