Does the amount of paper saved by the kindle make up for the energy and resources used to manufacture it?

Hmm…I can’t find data on how the paper usage stacks up to resource usage, but I did find out something pretty relevant. In terms of CO2, the Kindle is in fact more eco-friendly than the paper book, unless you read less than five books a year. Carbon emissions from book publishing far outweigh the production of the Kindle.

However, the problem of e-waste is present here, as with any new gadget. Sooner or later, the current model will become obsolete, and people will begin throwing them away. Then the heavy metals used in their creation will be released into the environment, unless they are PROPERLY recycled (which is another issue.)