Do you think we will ever see only green houses built?

Despite all of our knowledge about eco-friendly ways to build our homes, not all homes are built this way. Sometimes it is to avoid the expense of installing something as high-tech as a solar roof. Sometimes it is because the of harm to the environment seems so slight that it shouldn’t matter, like one cigarette up against the likelihood of eventual health problems. I believe that the only way to have more homes built in an environmentally friendly way is to make it illegal to do otherwise. For example, in California, by law, all new toilets are low-flow toilets, using less water than the traditional kind. More laws like these could eventually mean only green houses will be built, but it may be too little too late.

Making it illegal to make non green homes would be an infringment of poeples rights and would never pass in congress. A more realistic solution would be economic incentives (tax breaks) for people who build green houses. In addition, at some point in the future, all homes will be built by standards that are today considered green, however by then new problems will exist that will make even greener buildings necessary, thats just the way technology works.

I think we will see a point when green homes outnumber non green homes, but it will take some time.  The homes that exist now would have to be taken down, and there is little chance of that happening.  The best we can hope for now is that the homes being built currently are energy efficient, and I feel like that is definitely a growing trend.

I think slowly but surely, green houses will become more and more common. As the materials and practices become more readily available so will green houses. However, I do not think there will be a point at which exclusively green houses are being constructed. Just as I do not see a time anywhere in the near future where every car on the road will be electric. I do however think that as time passes both of these things will become much more prevalent. 

Green houses are pretty expensive and are for those who can afford it, upper middle-class and higher. Hopefully, green buildings for many people to live in will also proliferate with the green houses movement. It is still cheaper for developers to build houses without many if any green considerations.