Do you think there will be a day when we no longer use plastic?

I doubt that there will be a day when we don’t use some sort of plastic.  It is just too useful and comparitively cheap to use.  Perhaps some day we will find another material that does the same thing for a similar price and doesn’t have the same environmental impacts, but until then plastic will rule.  We may cut down on plastic due to more conscious efforts to be more eco-friendly, but I think it will always be there.  I think that we will also find ways to make plastic itself more eco-friendly because there are already efforts to make develop ways to make plastic degrade much more quickly in landfills.  Of course this would be needless if people just recycled it like they should, but so far that isn’t the case.  Companies, especially plastic bottling companies are finding ways to use less plastic in their bottles which is great but I don’t think that there will come a day when we are completely plastic free, at least for a long time.

Looking at society today and our huge reliance on plastic, I do not necessarily believe that there will ever be a day that we will no longer use plastic. Plastic is seen as cheap, convenient, and efficient in its roles. 

However, I do hope to see a much less dependence on plastic in the near future, and also a drastic increase in the use of recycled plastic rather than the generation of new plastics. This actual manufacturing of plastic is not only harmful to the environment, but the product itself, if not recycled, fills up our landscapes and oceans. It can take up to 20 years for a plastic bag to decompose completely, and another 250 years for a plastic cup to do so. When decomposed, the toxic chemicals used to make the products are released into our environment.