Do you think there is life on another planet?

There’s a great quote from the movie Contact that I often think of:

Young Ellie: Dad, do you think there’s people on other planets?
    Ted Arroway: I don’t know, Sparks. But I guess I’d say if it is just us… seems like an awful waste of space.

So yes, absolutely, I see no reason why we are the only ones out there.  Maybe we’re the only one in this on the planets in this galaxy, but on other planets in other galaxies, why *wouldn’t* life exist?

I can almost guarantee you that there is some “life” out there — what Kasey said pretty much sums up my sentiments exactly (well done)… but I’d like to add that just because there is a chance (or, as we’re claiming, a probability — I’d give it 3:1 odds in favor of there being some life out there), it doesn’t mean that the extraterrestrial lifeform is going to be intelligent. There is probably a planet out there somewhere that is in a stage of its career where earth was like 3 billion years ago… lot’s of water… lot’s of heat… and on this hypothetical planet there might be some very basic cells beginning to form as we speak (whether or not they are carbon based as well, I’ll leave that up to your own imagination)… and there could be planets out there that have had life on them and they have already become extinct if the planet’s supporting star ran out of fuel, or exploded in a supernova (that would be pretty detrimental to life)…. so my point really is this: There probably is something out there… but whether or not it is at all intelligent (capable of communication/ thought) is a whole different story… we should focus our attention of dealing with the problems here on earth, instead of inquiring and searching for something that (in all likelihood, like 99.9998% chance, I’d estimate) we are never going to be able to make contact with. They’re just way too stinking far away for us to be concerned with them in my opinion, and there is no hope for us of getting there, so why don’t we focus on fixing the obvious problems that are going on right here!