Do you think this is part of natural selection, preservation of species to pick a larger mate to breed with?

Do you think its a natural instinct that every animal has even humans?

8

Answers

Yes, this would be natural selection if there is phenotypic variance with a genetic, heritable basis. The only thing that remains unanswered is whether or not the size of the males is based on genes or the way the crickets were raised. I believe there isn’t natural selection for humans anymore. There is not struggle for existance anymore, and anyone can reproduce. We have no natural predators, and if someone was resistant to an incurable disease like HIV, a cure would soon be created for all mankind. In a way, our individuals have stopped evolving and we have started evolving as a society.

I agree with everything you have said but I would like to say one more thing. For humans, do you think our desire to succeed personally and as a family leads us to choose a bigger better mate. For instance we all like to choose better looking, more athletic, and smarter mates if we have a choice do you think this is because of our desire to succeed in society or do you think its natural instinct.

If it’s based off of looks, then it is natural selection. If it’s a desire based off of what society brings us up to like, then it is a desire based off of succeeding in society. Not everyone wants athletic mates, or to marry rock stars, or cares if their mate is smart as long as they can fulfill the qualities that they have been brought up to look for. It’s not natural selection because they have learned to look for those qualities from people they have been around. Natural instinct is based off of hormones and things programmed in our genetic code.

Thank you for your comment and thoughts. I personally think that now that we have been part of large civilizations for so long social aspects play a much larger role in our decisions of who we choose for a mate than anything else. We know its socially preferable to be with a successful good looking mate than someone else.

This is also true with species like lions.  The lionesses of the pride prefer older, stronger males with darker manes.  (I read this recently but cannot find the citation).   I do believe that it is relatively instinctual for several species to want to breed with larger males as they are often better suited to protect their young.  However, if is a species where the male does not play a roll in raising and protecting their young, I am not sure that it would play a roll.

For humans however, there are many different aspects at play.  Not everyone finds the tallest, strongest males physically and emotionally attractive, but we do generally tend to pick males that we believe will be able to protect us.  In this case it is known that women tend to favor males with more money or stable jobs, but this is of course, not true across the board.

This is the same comment as above I just saw your answer and would like to get your take. Do you think that us picking a mate that can protect us is because of the social factors we have been exposed to or do you think its natural instinct?

Good question. I think that the desires for food, shelter, safety and love are natural instincts. And I think that most men have natural instincts to protect women. I do believe there is an aspect of social conditioning toward picking stronger and richer men, but there is an underlying aspect of instinct as well.