Do you think that this oil spill has received more attention than any other oil spill in history?

Honestly, I was too young to remember news coverage on any oil spills. This is the first big oil spill I remember hearing about the most. I did read in school briefly about at least one big spill that took place in the 1990’s. It was touched on lightly but it wasn’t a huge part of the lesson.

I think so. I know that the Exxon Valdez spill of ’89 was also very widely acknowledged by the media and public, but I think it takes second place to the attention given to this particular Gulf spill. 55% of Americans say they are following the spill news “very closely” according to the Pew Research Center’s News Interest Index, and this percentage increased since the spill first began, meaning that more and more people are concerned about it. In 1989, 52% of people followed “very closely” the Exxon Valdez leak. So, it is close, but the Gulf spill has is capturing more attention.