Do you think that the government needs to drive environmental change?

Advocacy for environmental change is most commonly left to philanthropists and eco-experts who urge the general public as well as public and private organizations and businesses to make changes both large and small that will ultimately benefit the environment. Changes such as the use of solar energy or alternative fuels, reductions in overall energy usage, selection and use of renewable raw materials, recycling, conservation, and cleaner emissions are just a handful of ways anyone can make a difference. It seems that the only time that the government steps in is when an environmental problem becomes so profound that failure to intervene could prove imminent disaster. The government is slow to uphold higher, universal standards and mandate changes for a better environment because it lacks the immediate or potential means to uphold such standards. Moreover, considering distribution of power and the global economy, there are simply too many conflicts of interest to count.

I’m no expert, but you asked my opinion and I have provided my informed response.

Yes, the government needs to take part.  In order to effectively stop global warming, a combined effort is required by individuals, communities, and state and federal governments.  While there are lots that people can do in their day to day life, they are unable to make the big changes such as investing money and resources into green industries, creating green jobs, regulating carbon emissions, creating national parks and sanctuaries, and working with other world leaders to fight global warming.

The government needs to take part.  Whether they can come to an agreement and make meaningful changes is another matter…