Do you think it’s wrong to own pets?

Answers

I have owned dogs as pets in the past  and I believe if you treat them right and give them affection, they recognize it and return the affection. I don’t think it is wrong to own pets if you can provide them with a life full of affection, exercise and a constant food supply. Of course, this is talking about domesticated pets. It is not wise to take an animal out of the wild because humans can’t provide what a natural habitat can.

No, I do not think it is wrong to own pets.  I have a wonderful dog a new little kitten right now and I take care of them very well.  As long as owners are responsible and loving, I see nothing wrong with owning a pet.  I would not recommend trying to make a wild animal a pet though — that is a completely different story. 

I agree, there are a lot of great things that come with owning a pet. Anyone who has had a dog knows the word “owning” is used a bit too much as a dog is more of a  friend than anything else. 

Personally, I don’t think it’s wrong to own pets as long as it’s done responsibly and lovingly.

I do think that it’s wrong to take a wild animal and keep it locked up in an urban environment. Say, taking a zebra, and trying to raise it in the equestrian district of Burbank, California. That’s rude to the animal because it’s force alienation, taking the animal away from its natural environment and the practices/behaviors that the animal associates with life.

However, domesticated animals are not the same as wild animals. If raised and socialized in a friendly, people-filled environment, domestic horses, cats, dogs, and even birds can have a happy, fulfilled life because they bond with humans, recognize them as part of their family (pack/flock/etc.), and recognize life as a set of behaviors and practices associated with human life, not wild life.

I agree with most of the answers that have been provided above. There is nothing wrong with keeping domesticated animals as pets, but if you try to take wild animals and “adopt” it as a pet then that may cause some issues. For instance, I have rabbits as pets at home, but I would never take a wild rabbit I’ve found on the street straight to my house. In fact, it’s probably a good idea to leave them as they are. Aside from hygiene and sanitary issues, animals from the wild already have their own home – it would be cruel to take them away from their natural habitat. 

However, domestically bred animals are perfectly fine to keep as pets, in my opinion. Perhaps it’s equally bad to leave domesticated animals in the wild as it is to take wild animals as pets. Think about it this way, the countless non-profit animal organizations out there work hard to provide a moderate shelter for abandoned or abused animals. They actually want people to adopt those animals. 

I think that house pets (as long as you treat them properly will love), will A O.K to have but on the other hand, I think that wild pet stay in the wild-it’s their natural home and, wild animals can help the environment by in their own home!

It has always seemed strange to me, thinking that we can live with and boss around a large carnivore. That doesn’t stop me from doing it, though. They are smart enough to understand the living situation and offer companionship. Good question. In all honesty, I think one big problem that has resulted from owning pets (aside from cruelty and abuse that can arise), is population control. When will pounds be empty, when will people stop special ordering breeds of dogs, when will animals stop dying needlessly. 

No, there is nothing wrong with owning pets as long as one provides a great home and cares for the pets. Some animals like chickens and cows are domesticated to the point where they would not be able to enter the wild.

I think it’s a wonderful thing to provide food, love, and shelter to our pet companions. In my ideal world, I’d love to see families with multiple pets adopt at least one of them from an animal shelter or family instead of going to breeders or pet stores.

I would agree with most everyone on this question.  Having pets is just fine.  Domesticating animals has been very beneficial for human beings.  If we had never done so, we might night even be here today all contributing to this website.  Even still today, therapy animals bring so much joy and companionship to millions of people who need it.  If nobody owned any pets, none of that would be possible. 

Depends on waht you define as a “pet”. Domesticated dogs and cats are fine, but how about exotic pets or birds?

In my opinion, and I really do not mean to offend anyone, it is not fair to keep exotic animals and birds, I believe you are depriving them of their natural ability and freedom. Birds like to fly and cats and snakes like to hunt. When you clip their wings and put them in a cage or lock up in your home the bobcat or giant python, I do not believe it is healthy for you or the animal.

Depends on what you define as a “pet”. Domesticated dogs and cats are fine, but how about exotic pets or birds?