Do you think it is inhumane to eat foie gras?

No more than it is to eat other animal parts.

I don’t think it is any different from eating any animal part either but a lot of other people’s problems seem to be with the process of getting the duck liver to enlarge.

For more on this, you can check out previous GreenAnswer questions on foie gras that go into detail of how the duck liver is enlarged:

The problem a lot of people have with foie gras is that the geese are forcefed.  It looks like that’s not necessary, though.  Geese will gorge themselves to prepare for winter migrations.  Eduardo Sousa raises geese on his farm in Spain by letting them gorge themselves on regional food; a chef in the USA, Dan Barber, is going to try to recreate this model so that he can produce “free-range” foie gras.

The animals raised for fine cuisine are certainly treated better than those in factory farms — personally, though, I think that the ratio of animal pain to human pleasure doesn’t justify how we harvest our meat.

Depends on your feelings on the treatment of the geese and the fact that they are force fed. It also depends on where the fois gras is raised and the practices of the grower. Personally, I wouldn’t feel comfortable eating anything like that but that’s a personal response. 

If foie gras is produced without force-feeding, as the people Ashleigh mentioned are doing, and the geese are killed humanely, then I don’t think that eating it would be any less ethical than eating any other animal product, and I’m of the opinion that if you are going to kill something, you should use all of it.

Really though, if you look at how most commercial farms treat their animals, it might not be that more inhumane anyway.An article on The Daily Green claimed that a foie gras producer in California treated their geese better than “every FDA-approved chicken farm in the United States” in terms of cleaner and safer living conditions. However, this farm still employed force feeding and was shut down.