Do you think it helps the environment if we keep people out of prison?

Interesting thought, but I would guess people use less energy and waste a lot less when in prison. They aren’t buying clothes or driving cars. My vote would be no. But, it does help our society to try to keep people out of prison as far as working to keep kids off the streets, providing good educational opportunities and social services to those that would use them wisely.

People in prison probably consume much less than regular citizens. However, it also costs the state hundreds of thousands of dollars to maintain such large prison populations. If we consider what sort of green things we could be doing with that money such as investing in green energy or making existing technologies more efficient, I suspect that it would actually be more environmentally beneficial in the long run, than whatever reduced carbon footprint prisoners create.