Do you think the building of this project will take some of the heat off of the Canadian tar sands project or shed more light on it since its closer to home now?

I think that whether or not Utah designs and implements a tar sands project, environmental groups criticizing Canada for extracting bitumen will probably not have any more favorable a view point of it (outside of perhaps diverting their attention away from Canada to Utah, for the time being). Tar sands are not only very difficult, costly and dirty to extract and process from a carbon emissions standpoint, but the process also pollutes waterways and is highly water-intensive. I personally do not see how introducing tar sands projects in the U.S. (and particularly in Utah) might help give the Canadian tar sands issue a better public image.