Do you think that Beijing will ever host another Olympics if they don’t fix their air pollution problem?

The next time Beijing will have a chance to host the olympic games again, it will be 2100 or so and if they have not cleaned their air by then, everybody will be dead, so they will eventually have to.

I don’t think they would because athletes would protest having to compete in a country where the air quality is very poor. Many athletes would believe that going there would be risking their health, and may choose not to go. Plus, I doubt the IOC would want to deal with the major backlash they would receive from the world as a response to promoting a city (and China as a whole) that refuses to clean up. Beijing’s pollution received almost as much attention as the games themselves…I don’t think anyone wants a repeat of that.

Actually Beijing did do a lot to try to clean the air for the Olympics, most notable are relocating factories to the outskirts of the city and planting huge amounts of trees. I do think that they did the best they could with what they got, but it was still far from ideal. I think any city that organizes Olympic Games should be required to be as clean and green as possible. Beijing is far from being considered green so it will take time until this changes.