Do you see an influence from philosophers in the current environmental movement?

Many philosophers such as Plato would spend time trying to make links between the natural world. They sought to understand cause and effect as it pertains to nature, something that we are accessing now when we look at ecosystems and how both our own and natural inputs affect nature I guess could be seen as in the same vein.

I took a Philosophy class called “Philosophy and the Environment” during my junior year in college. We studied particular topics and used philosophers to discuss the relevance and importance of the topic. We read philosophers and authors such as Henry David Thoreau, John Muir, Aldo Leopold, and Rachel Carson. In order for philosophy to have an influence on the current environmental movement, it is important for people to understand how the two are related. In my class, we would study how Thoreau got people to start thinking about their relationship with nature, and how Rachel Carson used a case study to show how detrimental our activities are on nature. Philosophers do have an influence on the current environmental movement, but only in the capacity in which people take the time to understand and appreciate their ideas.