Do you know anybody living in an urban/suburban residential area who gets a significant portion of their food from plants grown on their property?

Yes – we get our fruit, vegetables and herbs from our residential property.  We do purchase our dairy and meat from the grocery and butcher shop.  We have large raised bed gardens on wheels, that we move as necessary and that we use only organic soil, no chemical fertilyzer or pesticides are used.  We succesion plant from heirloom seeds and what we can’t use we give away.  We currently grow a couple of varieties of lettuce, spinach, many tomato types to use to make sauces and to eat, carrots, cucumber, green peppers, radish, turnips, corn, onions, garlic, jalapenos, strawberries, grapes, blueberries, apples, lemons, limes, oranges, rosemary, basil, cilantro, sage, chamomile, lemon verbana, sunflowers, pumpkin and many flowers in our garden.  Because they are all in raised beds we use less water and it’s easy to extend the growing season with winter cover.

I know several people who raise their own chicken and rabbits for meat. My parents have a few raised beds which they get tons of broccoli, lettuce, carrots, beans, and other vegetables in the summer. I also know people with apple trees that don’t produce apples good enough to eat raw, but make great applesauce.

My parents grow a ton of produce every summer—everything from tomatoes and cucumbers to lemon grass and rosemary. My mom cans and freezes a lot of it for use in the winter, and makes jams and preserves for use throughout the year. They often end up with pounds and pounds of tomatoes that get shared with neighbors, canned and given away, etc. I live in an apartment in the city center of Portland, and so have no space for a garden, but I am growing herbs in small pots on a sunny windowsill, and am hoping to move once my lease is up to a place where I can plant a garden, either in a yard or in a community plot.

My wife and I grow about 3/4 of the produce we use, and we eat a lot of vegetables. We grow tomatoes, peppers, New Mexico green chiles, eggplants, potatoes, cucumbers, garlic, shallots, lots of winter squash, summer squash, green beans, peas, carrots, beets, Swiss chard, kale, broccoli, cauliflower, cabbages, celery, blueberries, strawberries, basil, thyme, oregano, sage, and rosemary at our plot at a community garden.  

We grow about a third of what we eat in a balcony farm on the front and back decks of our apartment.  The shadow of the roof line falls over cantilevered planters on our back deck, so we can grow salads there even through the hot summer months in California. We grow lettuces, spinach, Asian greens (tatsoi, pak choi, mizuna, zen green), Italian leaf broccoli, mache, frisee, 6 kinds of basil, cilantro, and dill in window boxes, and cucumbers, celery, tomatoes, lacinato kale, jalapenos, and serranos in Smart Pots on the front deck.  

We fertilize with compost from our garden, worm castings from multiple worm bins, and a few selected organic soil amendments.  

I live in a suburban area in a small house that was luckily built in the 1930’s so it has a large yard and two citrus trees. The soil is rich here. When we moved in my boyfriend and I cut up the grass in the yard and built a garden. We currently have or recently harvested lettuce, spinach, broccoli, carrots, radishes, tomatoes, squash, dill, basil, sage, cilantro, snow peas, kale. We are currently planting/waiting to harvest more tomatoes, cucumbers, beans, jalapenos, bell peppers, mustard greens, strawberries, onions, rhubarb, and corn. The garden is only just getting built, but it is a deep/raised bed that will be incredibly productive during peak season in the summer.

We definitely obtain a large portion of our food from the garden during peak times. We have grown more peas, lettuce, and radishes than we can eat. We regularly get fresh oranges and grapefruit from our trees, so we never buy juice. Basically, our garden eliminates 80% of our produce purchases, 75% of our fruit purchases, and is the basis of most of our meals. On a typical night, all we need to buy at the store is garlic, an onion, and some rice (about $2 or less) and then we add tons of vegetables to make it a delicious stir fry. Beans and peas from the yard eliminate the need for much meat.

6. mle

I know several people who have chickens and I buy eggs from them.  

It sounds like you are interested in urban homesteading.  You might be interested in the recent controversy over the term “urban homesteading.”  If so, check out the link below.

Not only do many urban residents supplement a large amount of their food supply from urban garden plots, but also, many restaurants in urban areas utilize rooftop greenhouses and supplement their food supply on their own. One example in Philadelphia is James restaurant: