Do you have a favorite bridge in America?

I particularly like the Lilac Road Bridge in northern San Diego County. There’s a great simplicity to the way in which the arch of the bridge frames the mountains beyond it.

Of course, the Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco is pretty amazing as well, but they’re amazing in completely different ways…

I like the Stony Brook Covered bridge in Northfield, VT.

My personal favorite is the Bixby Bridge.  It was built in 1932 and is one of the tallest concrete bridges in the world.  Plus, the view is pretty amazing.  Here is a photo of it overlooking the sea:

My favorite bridge is the St. John’s Bridge in Portland, Oregon. It’s just a mile away from the school I went to, the University of Portland, and it’s the bridge you take to get from there to the Pacific Ocean, to the farms on Sauvie Island, and to the beautiful Forest Park. The bridge was finished in 1931 and was designed by Holton Robinson and David Steinman. It has 400 foot tall towers and is 1,207 feet long. Beneath it is Cathedral Park on the banks of the Willamette River, so called because the pillars supporting the bridge rise up and come together at a peak like the inside of a cathedral. Interesting bit of trivia: this bridge appeared in the film Pay It Forward, in the scene where Jim Caviezel’s character talks the woman out of committing suicide.

I took this photo of the bridge on a very rainy day a few years ago.