Do you give any money to charities and if so which charities?

I like the American Red Cross and the Massaba Rural Development Organization out of Nairobi.

I prefer to donate my time rather than my money. In the past I have volunteered for Habitat for Humanity, American Heart Association, Albertina Kerr, DESC (downtown emergency service center in Seattle), Camp Fire, Northwest Harvest and many others. I feel like donating my time is more meaningful because then I personally get to see the work being done and be a part of it. There’s something so much more satisfying about putting in a day or two of hard work than just writing a check. 

I like jazpiri’s idea of time rather than money.  That way, you can be assured that your “money” is going to the place you want it to go.

I give money to St. Jude’s Children’s Hospital and Save the Children.  Both organizations are highly rated by the Better Business Bureau and serve the needs of children.  My heart goes out to those who are so completely out of control of their own circumstances.

I’m still in college so I don’t have much of a disposable income but I give money to the Salvation Army bell ringers on the holidays and my spare change to the cashier-side collection boxes for various charities.  Additionally I donate my spare time during the year to mentoring programs for at risk kids.  Oh and I donate blood fairly regularly to the Red Cross!

I’m also a college student like mrraccoon, so for me individually at this time, it is hard to make a lot of donations. Along with my family, I’ve given to UNICEF, Oxfam, and the World Wildlife Fund, as well as the Red Cross for disaster relief. And, like all of you who are participating on here, I’m helping Trees, Water, and People through GreenAnswers’ fantastic partnership with them.

I give to the World Wildlife Fund, National Wildlife Federation, ASPCA, and Children International. I’d love to volunteer my time to these organizations, but I already donate a fair amount of my time and money to my Buddhist organization.

I too have a tendency to donate my time as much as I can.  I will financially support the local Animal Shelter, they are a no kill shelter and offer spay and neuter services for a nominal fee. 

I am an advocate for better education and donate monthly to You get to choose which class project you’d like to help and each student makes you a thank you card! It’s awesome. 

I work full time, so I don’t have as much time to spare.  I like to give what I can from what I earn to the National Resources Defense Council (NRDC), the ASPCA, and the Sierra Club.  They all have great track records of being well-respected and effective groups.  What I like about being a member of groups like this, is that even when you don’t have the money to give at one time or another, they still send you petitions that you can mail in.  So, even when you are short on money now and then, you still feel like you’re being proactive.