Do sunflower seeds have any nutritional value?

One ounce of sunflower seeds (no salt) contains 241 mg of Potassium, 327 mg of Phosphorus, 20 mg of Calcium, 37 mg of Magnesium, 1.08 mg of Iron, 1 mg of Sodium, .598 mg of Manganese, 1.5 mg of Zinc, .519 mg of Copper, and 22.5 mcg of Selenium. Additionally, sunflower seeds can ward off hunger because each ounce contains 5.48 g of protein and 3.1 g of dietary fiber. So, the answer to your question is yes!

Sunflower seeds not only have nutritional value, they are a great flower to plant with children to teach gardening!  We plant ours on the West side of our garden (our garden is on the South side of our property) and we live in an area that gets very hot in the afternoon – so the sunflowers block the hot afternoon sun from our other plants.  One caution, not only do people love them, but birds do as well!

When I was a kid, I planted one single sunflower seed in the sideyard of our house which never got ANY attention. I was young enough that I had absolutely no sense of time, but I came back much, much later, and it was a foot and a half taller than me!

But as for nutritional value – I’m a big advocate in using sunflower oil in the majority of my cooking. Not only does it have more Vitamin E than any other vegetable oil, but it enhances the flavor of my food with its neutral tonality.