Do sales like Black Friday encourage consumer waste?

Given the current system, it seems that most consumer-encouraging activities produce at least some amount of waste.  In this country, our products (and services) are built with both “planned” and “percieved” obsolesence in mind.  That is, products are either actually not built to last, or styles and brand names change to make it appear that it is necessary for an upgrade.  Although money-saving is a big issue, especially in these economic times, there other more hidden problems with cheaper prices.  Products are very commonly produced in unsustainable ways in other parts of the world under terrible and unfair working conditions.  The factories in which most products that can be found at a sale in drain valuable, nonreneable resources for a cheap product that will only be thrown “away”  a short time later.  It is not merely Black Friday’s fault; it is the current, consumer-minded system.

Guest, that is a very interesting question. While I agree with mnrisley’s answer, I also see a different point of view. I think companies using the price of goods to manipulate the masses, even if only for a day, is wrong. It does not so much promote consumer waste rather than consumer affirmation, securing the corporation’s best interests with sale spikes throughout the year utilizing days this the aforementioned one. But that’s just my opinion. Hope I helped, and have a green day!

It doesn’t encourage waste, but it does lead to it.  Many environmentalist challenge black friday with their efforts, called “Buy Nothing Day.” It is a campaign to discourage consumerism and wasteful spending on unsustainable products.  Black Friday doesn’t encourage directly, but it is a very symbolic day for anti-environmentalism.