Do raccoons ever attack and kill smaller animals – like squirrels?

Most raccoons are now adapted to living in the city and eating out of people’s garbage cans, but they do still eat smaller animals like rats and squirrels.   In the case of traditional pets, raccoons would probably only attack if provoked.  My friend’s mom in California had a little dog, a dachshund I think it was, that made the mistake of trying to ward off some raccoons who were eating in the backyard one night.  The dog basically jumped in the middle of three raccoons in an attempt to get them to leave.  The raccoons were literally tearing the dog apart with their teeth and claws when my friend’s mom came out of the house to rescue him.  The dog was missing a lot of skin, had severe bleeding, and needed medical attention.