Do people think too locally when they think about their environmental impact?

I don’t think so. If everyone conserved at a local level, it would have a worldwide impact. Sometimes thinking locally helps not only the environment but also local business and economy, such as buying local organic food. The potential for thinking too locally arises if people forget that their actions have a larger impact, such as ignoring downstream users of a river system.

I would say yes. Since what people experience and see is only locally, then they really can’t see how factors of their lifestyle is affecting other areas of the planet. For example, someone who consumes large amounts of meat in their diet, does not see the amount of pollution which is created by the factory farm the product came from.