Do people have too many personal electronics?

I feel like I have a lot but I know I don’t have nearly as many as some people.

I think that there are definitely people who have more electronics than they need. For example, I think that most people do not need more than one computer or one mp3 player per person. I also think that someone shouldn’t buy a new piece of electronics until their old one has lived out its useful lifespan.

However, I think the more important issue here is what people do with their old electronics and how much time and electricity they spend on the electronics. E-waste is a big issue now, so it is very important that we try not to add that by acquiring more electronics if we don’t need them. Energy efficiency is starting to become important to design, but it still isn’t as good as it can be. Consumer habits are hard to influence (leaving laptops and computers on 24 hrs), but should be addressed in the coming years as an important environmental issue.