Do I need to do anything in particular after finding a battery powered toy in my dishwasher?

My mother in law was watching the kids. I came home to find the dishwasher washed a battery powered toy. Can I just wash the dishes again without any worry? Do I need to take any further steps in case there was battery liquid leakage, etc?

Although it isn’t likely that a trip through the dishwasher caused your batteries to leak, you may want to run your dishwater while empty before you wash dishes in it again, just to be safe. The danger of batteries really depends on what kind of battery we’re talking about. Your average household alkaline batteries no longer contain mercury so it is “safe” to put them in the trash. Therefore, after a quick rinse, your dishwasher is probably perfectly safe.