Do I need to do anything to my mason jars before I can in them?

Wash it thoroughly, place in boiling water, let dry.  You are then suppose to boil the canned food in water temperatures of around 212 degrees Fahrenheit.  This method however is only safe for tomatoes, fruits, jams, jellies, pickles and other preserves.   For all other canning (meat, seafood, some vegetables), there is need for the use of a steam pressure utensil called a ‘canner’

When you are done canning, make sure to create a “vacuum seal” to keep bacteria and air out or the canned goods will go bad. This is done by placing the jars in a large pot of boiling water. Make sure you leave about an inch of room at the top of the jar because the contents will expand with boiling. Bring the water to a boil and place the jars in the pot, leaving about 2 inches of water OVER the tops of the jars. Leave them in for the appropriate times: 

-5 to 10 minutes for pickles

-10 minutes for jam

-20 to 30 minutes for fruit, fruit pie fillings, and applesauce

-30 to 45 minutes or more for tomatoes 

When finished, remove the jars and place on a towel to cool off and dry. Do not wash jars with cold water or put directly in the refrigerator or the glass will shatter. Once sealed, the preserves don’t need to be refrigerated until opened.