do I have to put a leash on my rooster when we go for a walk?

Depending on where you live, you probably do. Many cities prohibit keeping livestock as pets, and if you live in one of those places, you can’t legally keep him anyway. (Then I guess its a moot issue whether or not he is on a leash when you go for a walk.)

In places where it’s legal for you to have livestock as pets, you’re probably subject to the same rules as people whose pets are dogs. These rules vary from state to state, and the gray area is whether or not the animal is reasonably safe and under control.

So…if you’re certain that its safe for your rooster to be unleashed, then you’re probably fine.

To prevent any complications, though, it’s best to check local ordinances and regulations on the matter. Local governments can have all sorts of loopy laws that are occasionally enforced if the issue actually arises, so if you’re worried go check down at your local city hall or equivalent thereof.