Do fire places affect the health of the people that have to burn it for heat?



  1. 0 Votes

    Ventless fireplaces may seem more economical and convenient since you can move them around and not have to worry about having a chimney for the unit. However, there are potential health hazards to be considered. When we burn natural gases, carbon monoxide is produced. This is the reason why most fireplaces have chimneys. With a ventless fireplace you still burn the same natural gases, but instead of the carbon monoxide flowing out the chimney, it goes directly to the room where the fireplace is installed.

    Though the technology of these new ventless furnaces guarantee that they burn cleaner and produce less carbon monoxide, too much of this by-product may become toxic especially if it is directly inhaled. “The burning of natural gas has as a by-product, which is the production of water. The water that is produced when a gas ventless fireplace is in use is released into your home in the form of water vapor. Most of us won’t complain about added humidity in the dry winter months, but too much of anything can cause problems. In this case mold and mildew can form. If this warm air comes into contact with cold surfaces such as in the attic or behind walls other hidden damage can result.”

    To avoid this, it would be better to use gel fuel fireplaces or the electric fireplaces instead.

Please signup or login to answer this question.

Sorry,At this time user registration is disabled. We will open registration soon!