Do environmental education programs at universities include classes on sustainability?

Environmental education programs differ in curriculum and course of study across the nation. For example, I graduated from the University of California, San Diego with a degree in Environmental Policy. Although I took many classes about the causes of climate change and the implications, I never took a course with “Sustainability” in the title. However, this is only one of many degree programs across the nation. And although this topic might not have been specifically addressed at my school, I definitely learned a lot about the science of climate change.

The Association for the Advancement of Sustainability in Higher Education (AASHE)is an association of colleges and universities that are working to create a sustainable future. Their website ( has many great resources for universities to utilize when setting sustainability goals. Additionally, they have great information about degree programs and curriculum at this website: You can read about sustainability educational programs here. Additionally, you can also check out great additional resources at, including blogs, profiles, and news articles. This website is the go to place for sustainability in higher education.

I just discovered this new degree last week at a SCAD lecture in Chicago. SCAD has a degree in DESIGN FOR SUSTAINABILITY. It is the only degree I have ever came across that is solely focused on sustainable practices and design.