Do manufacturing companies think about the entire lifecycle of a product?

Judging by the batteries, televisions, computer parts, and other discarded electronics piling up in landfills, I would say no. Manufacturers tend to think about getting a product as far as a consumers hands, and that’s it. Cell phones all need their own chargers and their own batteries, making old ones useless. Ipods are good for about two years until you’ll need a new one. Computers need to be replaced every few years. It seems to me that if manufacturers considered a products life cycle, they would recycle parts. Ipods change their shape with every new model just so they can capitalize on the profits of accessories – that means more wasted plastic cases and other useless junk. It seems to me that it’s only the bottom line that manufacturers think about.