Do any TV shows educate kids about green issues?

Although they’re somewhat limited, there are a few shows out there that address green issues AND are geared towards kids.  Check out the following list:

1. Sesame Street on PBS

2. Yo Gabba Gabba! on Nick Jr.

3. Man vs. Wild on Discovery

4. Shark Week on Discovery

5. Planet Earth on Discovery

Depending on the age of your children, these shows offer a bit of something for everyone and really do provide information on the environment, endangered species, and being green in general.  Check ’em out!

This isn’t really a show, but Dr. Suess’ The Lorax is a great way to teach kids about green issues and the outcomes of what will happen if people don’t change.  I watched this as a kid and now that I’m in college I have watched it in two of my science courses.  No matter how old it may be, The Lorax has a great lesson hidden in a kid-friendly story.  

If you don’t mind going to older shows that no longer air to my knowledge, there’s always Captain Planet. It’s really really heavy-handed and narmy, but I enjoyed the heck out of it as a kid. Given that it’s Endudainment in the most narmtastic form available, you might want to talk to you kids and tell them that what the show covers actually are real issues. A great thing about the show is a the end of every episode, they have some good green tips, like how to recycle. But it may be a bit painful to watch as an adult. It’s not exactly subtle.

The Disney Channel has also had an on going campaign featuring their television stars talking about environmental issues. I thought this was a brilliant idea, since children are most likely to listen to what their favorite role models have to say. The campaign is called Disney Friends for Change, and it has featured celebrites such as Miley Cyrus and the Jonas Brothers. 

Yes, there is a good selection of television shows that educate children about green issues. These include:

1. The Song of the Cloud Forest by Jim Henson

2. Fraggle Rock has many environmental-themed episodes

3. Animal Planet’s the Most Extreme

4. Captain Planet

5. It’s a Big Big World (PBS Kids)

6. GI Joe, the 80s cartoon, has quite a few environmentally-themed episodes as well.