Could somebody provide a brief overview of the desertification process?

I realize there are a lot of factors at play, and I’m not very knowledgeable when it comes to the erosion process. I know that desertification is a problem in a lot of areas — or so I’ve heard. Even a condensed explanation should be helpful.

Desertification refers to the persistent degradation of dryland ecosystems by climatic variations and human activities. Degradation of the land is basically the reduction or loss of the biological or economic productivity of drylands. For instance, water scarcity, intensive use of services, and climate change, are all factors of desertification. Desertification occurs as a result of a long-term failure to balance human demand for ecosystem services and the amount the ecosystem can supply.

Does desertification ever occur naturally? I mean, we have deserts, and presumably they’re a natural part of the planets surface. Or is “desertification” as a term only associated with the ‘unnatural’ process as instigated by human exploitation?