Could childhood obesity be considered a form of Munchausen by proxy syndrome?

I would like to know your opinion on MBPS and whether or not childhood obesity could count as a manifestation of it. For those of you who are not familiar with MBPS, here is a definition:

Interesting question. I think in some cases, it could. MBPS involves deliberately making a child sick for attention, and with the attention childhood obesity brings, as well as the relative ease of making a child obese compared with other forms of sickness, obesity is a viable option. However, I think that most often, this isn’t the case. MBPS, according to your source, is “relatively uncommon” (at least as far as we know). Childhood obesity, on the other hand, is fairly common. The CDC notes that in 2008, the obesity rate was 20% for children aged 6 to 11 (and I’ve seen rates set higher than that).