Is corn meal considered a vegetable? Meaning, will eating corn meal mash count as a vegetable serving?

Please don’t guess and include a link backing up your answer. Thank you!

My understanding is that it is a grain.  I think that once the corn has been changed into the grainy cornmeal form, it is no longer a vegetable.  It is certainly considered that way by weightloss programs and in the food pyramid from what I found!  Sorry, you’re going to have to keep eating those veggies for your 5 servings a day!

I don’t think so.  It’s just a starch in meal form.  However, that doesn’t mean it’s necessarily bad for you.  Many dishes made with cornmeal are very nutritious as well as delicious.

Corn, as I consider it, is considered to be a starch.  Once it is removed from it’s original whole grain, it doesn’t necessarily have the same nutritional content.  If you’re looking to get more veggies in your diet, just mix that corn meal with some carrot shavings, peas, or bell peppers and you’ll be set to go!