Is copper mining really toxic?



  1. 0 Votes

    Indeed it is. A toxic spill at a copper mine in China poisoned nearly 1900 tons of fish in the Ting River, mostly through gross negligence (the mining company hadn’t replaced worn-out equipment and had built an “illegal passage” that allowed waste water to flow from a containment pool to the river). This permitted the copper content of the water to double, and also introduced into the water a carcinogenic chemical called hexavalent chrome. Even mines that con’t have accidents often leave behind tailings containing arsenic, cadmium, lead, copper, zinc, and sulfuric acid, all of whom can poison the landscape around the mines for years or even decades. 

Please signup or login to answer this question.

Sorry,At this time user registration is disabled. We will open registration soon!