Yes. It’s not the cooking oil itself that is flammable, but the vapor concentration above it. It has a flash point of 150 degrees Celsius, meaning that the vapor will ignite at any temperature above this provided there is a source of ignition.
According to the definition of “flammable”, no it is not. To be considered flammable a liquid has to have a flash point below 100 degrees F. Flash point is the temperature at which the liquid will form a vapor that will ignite when brought near a flame. Vegetable oil has a flashpoint of around 600 degrees F. However, like many liquids, at a high enough temperature it will ignite and burn, for instance a grease fire.
“The National Fire Protection Association has assigned a flammability rating of 1 (slight fire hazard) to the following vegetable oils: corn oil, cottonseed oil, linseed oil, olive oil, and peanut oil. However, vegetable oil mist is considered a combustible material”, so in short – yes, cooking oil is flammable.
Click here to cancel reply.
Sorry,At this time user registration is disabled. We will open registration soon!
Don't have an account? Click Here to Signup
© Copyright GreenAnswers.com LLC